MACares is a McCallum High School PTSA program that provides financial support to the entire Mac vertical team, working with campus Licensed Mental Health Professionals (LMHP) and counselors. The campuses under MACares support are McCallum High School, Kealing and Lamar Middle Schools, and Blackshear, Brentwood, Campbell, Gullett, Highland Park, Lee, Maplewood, Oak Springs, Reilly, and Ridgetop Elementary Schools.
Families in this vertical team can receive assistance in the form of emergency rent or utility payments, bus passes, gas cards, grocery cards, clothing, or furniture. The MACares program has also paid Advanced Placement test fees for qualifying students, helping them receive college credit; sponsored families in a Mitten Tree so that their children could have holiday presents; and provided formalwear for proms, job interviews, and other important events.
The Mac vertical team is socioeconomically and racially diverse, proudly creating an environment of cultural inclusivity and respect for all. Out of over 8300 students, 25% live in economically disadvantaged situations, and many more are living paycheck to paycheck. The McCallum team also has a number of students who are homeless and/or living on their own, or families who live in shelters, temporary housing, or “doubling up” with other families. With community support, MACares is able to help these students and families move from a crisis situation to stability.
If You Need Help or Know Someone Who Needs Help
Contact your school’s Licensed Mental Health Professional at your home campus. They will guide you through the process of applying for assistance from MACares. Since each family may only be helped by MACares one time, the LMHPs will work with your family to connect you with other community resources, as well.
How to Help
There are many ways to support MACares and the students and families in need at McCallum. Contact the MACares coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information about joining or supporting MACares.
- Donate non-perishable snacks directly to the school for students, attn: MACares
- Make a tax-deductible donation to the emergency financial assistance fund online, or via check made payable to McCallum High School PTSA (please include MACares in the memo line). Mailing address is:
McCallum High School PTSA
5600 Sunshine Dr.
Austin, TX 78756
- Donate gift cards for HEB, Target, and Walmart, which can be delivered directly to McCallum, attn: MACares
- Attend the fundraiser event at Ten Thousand Villages, Phil’s Ice House, and Amy’s Ice Creams on Burnet, held this year on 11/30/23. Details can be found on the McCallum Facebook page.
- Donate gently used formalwear and accessories to the McCallum Formalwear Shop each spring. The library is transformed into a “store” where any student can pick out dresses, suits and accessories for any formal event at no charge!
All donations are tax-deductible.
Prom Swap & Shop
McCallum typically has a Prom Swap & Shop each spring prior to prom. The library is transformed into a “store” where any student can pick out dresses, suits and accessories for Prom at no charge! MACares volunteers solicit donations from local stores and community members and staff the “store” to help students find what they need.