FAQs & Announcements
McCallum High School Parent FAQs 2022-23
- What is the first day of school/school calendar?
Monday Aug 15, 2022. The AISD calendar is here: https://www.austinisd.org/…/cale…/Calendar_2022-2023.pdf
The campus calendar is available here: https://mccallum.austinschools.org/events
- When is graduation?
It hasn’t been set yet. Check the official Mac campus website, as it will be updated when this information becomes available.
- When do students get their schedules?
Typically these get posted in Blend the day before school but some students may not have classes assigned by the first day. (There are 5 counselors and 1800+ students; it takes a lot of work.) On the first day of school, there will be people on campus to help get a schedule. Here is the link to the counseling center on the official Mac website: https://mccallum.austinschools.org/department/counseling
- What is the school bell schedule?
- What are A/B/C days?
Typically, students have 4 classes a day–either A day classes (periods 1-4 plus lunch and roundtable/advisory/FIT) or B day classes (periods 5-8 plus lunch and roundtable/advisory/FIT). Every once in awhile they have all 8 classes (C day) but those are usually held only the day before finals. Mondays and Wednesdays are A days and Tuesdays and Thursdays are B days. Fridays are either A or B days (not always in a rotating pattern) and are announced ahead of time.
- So what is roundtable/advisory/FIT time?
It’s a period of about 20 minutes each day where kids either meet with their assigned teacher to work on activities, do homework, or address concerns, or join a meeting. Your student will have an assigned advisory teacher and will get more information from that teacher.
- When are the lunch periods?
There is only one lunch period. It is from 12:43-1:23. Everyone has the same lunch period. Students can eat anywhere on campus–the cafeteria, the outdoor picnic tables, classrooms, hallways, etc. My child claims lines to purchase lunch are very long but I can’t confirm. There are several microwaves available. There is no eating in the library but students can usually go there after they are done eating.
- What is zero hour?
Some students take an early morning class (usually something like band or a sports practice.) Individual coaches and directors will provide this information.
- Can students leave campus for lunch or free periods?
Seniors may. No one else can. If a student needs to be signed out early, a parent or guardian with picture ID has to sign them out of the office.
- Who is my kid’s counselor or assistant principal?
Check the official Mac campus website for more info, but generally:
All Students in Fine Arts Academy: (AP) Gabe Reyes email@example.com (Counselor) Shelley Goldstein firstname.lastname@example.org
Last Names A – GO (not in FAA): (AP) Andy Baxa email@example.com (Counselor) Loren Croom firstname.lastname@example.org
Last Names GP – PA (not in FAA): (AP) Larry Featherstone email@example.com (Counselor) Cristela Garcia firstname.lastname@example.org
Last Names PE – Z (not in FAA): (AP) Tammy Stone email@example.com (Counselor) Marc Garcia firstname.lastname@example.org
504 Coordinator: Josh Amy – email@example.com
College and Career Counselor: Camille Nix – firstname.lastname@example.org
Principal’s Admin Assistant: Bonnie Baker – email@example.com
Guidance Secretary: Kerren Campa – firstname.lastname@example.org
- My student needs a computer/hotspot/has a tech issue
There will probably be a tech day before school starts (watch for announcements) but in general, any student can get a device or tech support at the Mac library anytime once school starts.
- My child needs a gender-neutral bathroom.
Your child can speak privately with the librarians about their needs.
- I can’t find a school supply list. What do we need?
There isn’t usually a specific list, though each teacher may require something special, which will be made known to your student on their first day of that class (Monday for A classes and Tuesday for B classes). Generally, on the first day your child should have a chromebook or computer if they have one, something to write with and something to write on. A reusable water bottle and backpack to put it all in is a good idea.
- My kid needs a locker.
They need to request one at lunch time from the office next to the library. I don’t know the room number but there is a sign on the door saying this is where you request a locker from. There are not enough lockers for all students so students are not automatically assigned one.
- Does my kid need a PE uniform?
No, it’s pretty basic: t-shirt, bottoms and sneakers that don’t impede movement. Dance, marching band, or athletics may have a more specific dress code that your student will be informed about.
- Is water available to students?
There are water fountains and refilling stations around campus, so bring a reusable water bottle.
- Do students get ID cards?
Yes. They will all have their picture taken on picture day (whenever that is) and that will be used as their ID. If they miss one/need a replacement, they will be able to get one from the Library.
- My kid needs to print something for class.
They can print at the library but there is a charge per page.
- What about clubs and extracurriculars?
Information will be posted around campus for various clubs that will be starting. Your child can start their own club, with a faculty sponsor and the completion of a form in the office.
- I would like to get involved in the school. How can I do that?
Join the PTSA https://mccallumptsa.org/programs/parents/ptsa/join-ptsa/ or volunteer at the school. The front office and library always need help. Information will be posted on the MacKnightly News as it becomes available.
- My student needs a VOE (verification of enrollment) for a drivers’ license. How do I get that?
Send an email with your student’s name and ID number to email@example.com.
- I am a parent/know of a family in need. Is there financial assistance available?
MACares, a division of the PTSA, has emergency funding available for assistance with rent, utilities, food, or other items for any families from McCallum or its feeder schools. To apply, contact Christel Gilbreath at firstname.lastname@example.org. She is the school’s Licensed Mental Health Professional and can help you complete the needed paperwork. From there, your request goes to the MACares Emergency Assistance Team.
- I would like to donate to the school/support our teachers. What does the school need?
Teachers may have specific needs but in general, you can:
- Donate non-perishable snacks to the counselor’s office for hungry kids. Drop snacks off at the front office and say they are for the Counselor’s Snack Cupboard.
- Sign up to bring Wednesday night dinner to the students enrolled in the Twilight Credit Recovery Program
- Sign up to treat a teacher during the year via the Secret Pals program
- Donate HEB/Walmart/Shell Gas gift cards (preferably in $25 increments) to the school licensed mental health professional Christel Gilbreath. (You can drop them off in the office for her mailbox.)
- Donate to the MACares program here: https://mccallumptsa.org/programs/parents/ptsa/donate-to-mccallum-high-school-ptsa/
More questions? Email the PTSA at email@example.com or contact the school office.
- Thank you Partners in Education!
- McCallum High School 2023 Summer Basketball Camp
- Austin Community College Dual Credit Pre-Registration for FALL opens soon!
- Tissues Needed
- MacTheatre presents SHE KILLS MONSTERS!!!
- AVID Bag Drive
- MAC Visual Arts Torchy’s Tacos Fundraiser May 16
- Final Exam Survival Kit
- Maplewood Alumni Grad Walk
- Calling Class of 2024 Junior Parents – Donations and Volunteers Needed for Senior Class of 2023 Baccalaureate Ceremony
- Senior Breakfast Donations Needed
- Highland Park Alumni Grad Walk 2023
- Fine Arts Academy Senior Celebration 2023
- Gullett Alumni Scholarship
- Senior Breakfast Donations
- AP Testing Information
- April and May STAAR EOC Testing
- MAC Visual Arts Booster Club Meeting, Monday, April 24 at 6 p.m.
- Academy Convocation/Celebration
- Exciting News! Free SAT & ACT practice opportunity – Register now!